The PAPO SPINOSAURUS: Best of Breed
The Papo Spinosaurus
(As close to museum-quality as one can get and at a price that almost anyone can afford.)
You like this? Buy your own Papo Spinosaurus at Amazon by clicking here^.
Weighing in at 13 & one-quarter ounces (13.25 oz) and measuring fourteen & three-quarter (14.75") inches from snout to tail-tip (not including the "sail") this is quite a large toy dinosaur. Given that real ones were upward of sixty-feet long this would be ~1/48 in scale, give or take.... It also has a broader head and shorter/smaller "sail" than the Carnegie Spinosaurus, its closest toy-rival. It is, as are most of the Papo Dinosaur toys, based upon the Dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park movies. I think that the Papo Spinosaurus was designed to have "movie star" looks. And it pretty well does.
Made of a heavy 'rubber' this guy will not float off in a gentle current when searching in the local stream for food.
The exquisite detail of the Papo Spinosaurus can be readily seen in the life-like head:
with that wonderful, innovative lower jaw that opens and closes showing the marvelously detailed interior (teeth, tongue and palet) to the detailed foreclaws show the care that went into this Dinosaur toys creation. I do not ordinarily like toys that do too much, with movable parts that can break off, but this jaw does just enough and despite a lot of manipulation appears quite hardy for lots of play. Can it be ripped off (by a child)? Yes, it can. Will it be pulled off in normal play? Unlikely. This is a good buy on all accounts. It is currently selling for $17-$24.00 a pop, retail, wherever quality Dinosaur toys are sold.
Heading down to the stream to do some fishing the Papo Spinosaurus is really quite good at what he does, which is to catch fish and whatever else he may like to eat.
His diet, remember, isn't limited to fishies but, being an "opportunistic" predator, can readily include anybody who is unlucky enough to pass by....
While "wool gathering" on the bank of the river may be all well and good
the Papo Spinosaurus has other sources of food as well
and in many different styles...
So leaving the stream for the market may not be all that bad a deal in the 21st Century....
All in all the Papo Spinosaurus may not be the best Spinosaurus for younger children among the available Dinosaur toys out today. For an older or marginally more mature child (including adults like me) it is near perfect and comes highly recommended. I would like to thank Hotaling Imports of Wampsville, New York
for their help in making many of my Papo Dinosaur toys pages and recommend them as a resource for finding a retailer near you.
There are, of course, many other manufacturers in the business of making Dinosaur toys and you can find out about them here, along with all the wonderful Dinosaur toys they make.
You've seen this in action and now you have to have a Papo Spinosaurus of your very own. You can get one from Amazon by clicking here.
We here at The Dinosaur Toys Collectors Guide have only one purpose in being here at all. Providing you, our readers, with the best, most informative and entertaining information about Dinosaur toys both past and present.
In order to best achieve that goal, in addition to providing pages on individual figures, advice and suggestions on obtaining the Dinosaur toys and pricing, availability and age and personality appropriateness information.... We have instituted our:
1) The (easily subscribed to, FREE) Daily "Dino-Blog" where you are regularly updated as each new page is created and kept up-to-date on Dinosaur toys news and the happenings in "Dino-town."
2) Our Contact-osaur-Us form which you can use to send us comments and tell us what you need and want to see. After all, this site is for your information.
3) Social Networking links (way bottom, upper left) so you can share this page, and our site, with your friends. Thank you.
4) Our mighty and inimitable Search-osaurus Center. (Click link or Below.) You can use the search bars to either search the site for all things Dinosaur (toys) or search the entire web for all things anything at All-a-saurus.
5) As you have been perusing this site you may be wondering, "Can I do that?" Well, if having your own website has been your dream you can make that dream come true, here.
6) Our always open Donate-O-saurus Center (opens new window) where you can make a donation and keep us in business, such as it is. We thank you for anything you can give.
You can use this site-search box to find everything you need about Dinosaur toys collecting. Can't remember everywhere we mentioned, say, Velociraptors or Diplodocuses? Just put in your search term and you'll get a listing of everyplace on our site where you can find what you are particularly interested in.
Please note that your search results page will have ads ABOVE and BELOW the actual search results. Those are not from the site, but should be of interest, since Google targets the ads to your particular search.