The Allosaurus is called "The Wolf of the Jurassic"
Are you seeking all things Allosaurus? Click here to go to Amazon to find all the other things your heart desires as well.
"Allosaurus" is Latin for "other lizard."
The Allosaur was the Apex Predator of the Jurassic Period.
(A Pack of Allosaurus fragilis Gather Like Wolves.)
This simply means that if you wanted to go to see the "Godfather of the Jurassic" you'd go to the Allosaur. And he got all things done. Like, for instance, eating. At thirty-six feet in length and approximately two tons "Big Al" was an eating machine with teeth 3-4"long.
Of course this was quite small when compared with some of what he wanted to eat- Apatosaurs, Diplodocus', Brachiosaurus and other huge Sauropods- ten and more times the size of an Allosaur. "Meals on Treetrunks." This problem was readily redressed by the simple solution of "ganging-up."
A pack of Allosaurs was quite capable of cutting out and taking down a young, weakened, sick or aged Sauropod. Hence the appellation: "The Wolves of the Jurassic."(Those little, barely visible blue, green & gray heads are MARX Allosaurs arguing over who'll go first.) ...But catching a small one, alone.... mmmmmm....
I have really liked the Allosaurs since the first two that I saw at the American Museum of Natural History back in 1951. They, of course, were skeletons, set up stalking a Brontosaurus (as it was called then) skeleton. I was stricken with the beauty of these creatures and the energy still seen in their skeletal remains.
"Allosaurus" means "other reptile", the one who came to dinner.
(At least he comes with take-out.)
The Allosaurus is also a very popular (carnivorous) Dinosaur toy, second only to "the king", the mighty Tyrannosaurus Rex. Since the mid-nineties, when toy makers apparently began to realize that Dinosaurs sell, there have been a variety of different 'toy takes' on the Allosaur. Pretty much anybody with a three-clawed forehand can be considered as an Allosaur, if not obviously someone else.
The Walking with Dinosaurs franchise has produced an "up close and personal" biography of a hard-luck Allosaur known as "Big Al".
So Here is Our List of Allosaurs by Company
Just Click on the Dinosaur Names to Go to the Dinosaur Toys
The Bullyland Allosaur
Carnegie Allosaur (1995 & 2007)
Marx Allosaurs (1955 & 1959)
Papo Allosaur (2008)
Safari Allosaur (1996)
Safari Allosaur (2008)
I will be adding to this list as I come across other Allosaurus. You are welcome to submit your own.
Allosaurus NOT Your Bag-osaur? Try our Home Page, or try our Dino-toys companies page and for additional knowledge on Allosaurs in general, here is a link to Wikipedia.
We here at The Dinosaur Toys Collectors Guide have only one purpose in being here at all. Providing you, our readers, with the best, most informative and entertaining information about Dinosaur toys both past and present.
In order to best achieve that goal, in addition to providing pages on individual figures, advice and suggestions on obtaining the Dinosaur toys and pricing, availability and age and personality appropriateness information.... We have instituted our:
1) The (easily subscribed to, FREE) Daily "Dino-Blog" where you are regularly updated as each new page is created and kept up-to-date on Dinosaur toys news and the happenings in "Dino-town."
2) Our Contact-osaur-Us form which you can use to send us comments and tell us what you need and want to see. After all, this site is for your information.
3) Social Networking links (way bottom, upper left) so you can share this page, and our site, with your friends. Thank you.
4) Our mighty and inimitable Search-osaurus Center. (Click link or Below.) You can use the search bars to either search the site for all things Dinosaur (toys) or search the entire web for all things anything at All-a-saurus.
5) As you have been perusing this site you may be wondering, "Can I do that?" Well, if having your own website has been your dream you can make that dream come true, here.
6) Our always open Donate-O-saurus Center (opens new window) where you can make a donation and keep us in business, such as it is. We thank you for anything you can give.
You can use this site-search box to find everything you need about Dinosaur toys collecting. Can't remember everywhere we mentioned, say, Velociraptors or Diplodocuses? Just put in your search term and you'll get a listing of everyplace on our site where you can find what you are particularly interested in.
Please note that your search results page will have ads ABOVE and BELOW the actual search results. Those are not from the site, but should be of interest, since Google targets the ads to your particular search.
The Allosaurs Gather for an Evening Hunt